Thursday, December 27, 2007

Introducing Ginger


This is my dog, Ginger. Actually, she belongs to my youngest son and me. We share a birthday and she was our birthday present in 2006. She's as dumb as a box of rocks but she's so cute and she's lots of fun. She thinks everyone is her friend. As cute as she is, she is also very gross. She likes to nibble on her own tirds! We have bought all kinds of pills and powders that are supposed to stop this behavior but nothing works. I suppose the only solution would be to put her on a leash every time she goes out to potty but this is the PNW, for pete's sake. It's always raining! I don't want to stand in the rain. Plus, she will poo-poo in the house if she really wants to or if no one paid attention to her to let her out. She didn't start this until she was a year and a half old. Just out of the blue! I'm so frustrated. Goodness, I'd have to be frustrated to post this on a blog! Any suggestions???? I've had many dogs in my lifetime but none have ever done this. I'm told by many people that it's a common problem. It must be if they sell medicine for it. I need help.

8 comments:

friends said...

Ewwwwwww!

Nina and I were reading and laughing about this. Then she told me that it is called "pica". Apparently this happens to humans who put stuff in their mouth they shouldn't. Who knew? Nina tells me that one solution for this problem is to spray vinegar in the offender's mouth every time they do it with a verbal command like "no" so they associate the foul taste with something bad and will stop doing it.

I am amazed at Nina's encyclopedic knowledge!

Tisha said...

I have a dog that does this too - we call it "eating straight from the tap"! When we had two dogs, she would follow the other one around and "clean up" after him! Nasty!!

Some one once told me that if you sprinkle Meat Tenderizer on their food, it changes the taste of the poo and they won't eat it!

Let me know if it works!

Anonymous said...

my dogs eat their poo too.. not all the time..but its more often then i would like and when they do its gross.. if you find a soultion please let me know.

dogs are weird lol

Rhonda said...

Gosh, animals are so strange sometimes. I don't have a dog or a problem like that, but I do have a cat that pees in our bathroom sink!! I'd love to know how to stop that!!! So disgusting, but it could be worse, at least it's not on the carpet!

Nicole said...

Umm... GROSS!!! You made me chuckled but seriously the thought of eating your own feces is sickening! I think you have to have a one on one talk with her about being a lady! She is awfully cute though. :)

Marlou McAlees said...

awwww your dog is gorgeous!!!

Anonymous said...

My dog started doing this after she was spayed. I have read everything I can to find a solution. I do try to catch her so she will go outside, then she won't eat her poop. What I have read says that they will grow out of this behaviour. My girl is getting better. I do go outside with her to supervise and she won't do it in front of me. I also live in the PNW. jackie

Anonymous said...

If you still have the problem, a friend of mine uses some digestive enzymes they get at MubBay. She said it totally stopped it for her dog.